Could you live on less than one dollar per day?
- Over 1 billion people worldwide live on less than $1 per day.
- Over 2.7 billion people live on less than $2 per day (1).
- Over 800 million people do not eat enough to meet their daily minimum requirements.
- Youth unemployment is rife with tens of millions excluded from the labour market, running the risk of becoming the “lost generation” with little or no hope of finding work and earning a decent living.
For all of these people, extreme poverty is their daily reality.
Without money, could you invest and earn a living?
4 billion people worldwide are un-banked or under-banked. According to certain estimates, some 500 million economically active but poor people still do not have access to rudimentary financial services.
Zero access to capital is a fundamental issue which prevents needy people from leaving charity behind and breaking free of the aid culture.
What resources are being deployed to resolve this crisis?
The main efforts are being deployed by various international NGOs:
- The MDG (Millennium Development Goals) (2) set by the United Nations, defined targets for 2015 to eradicate extreme poverty and hunger. One of the goals is to reduce by half the number of people living on less than $1 per day.
- Various NGOs and western governments act through a series of emergency aid and development programmes.
However, many efforts, however commendable, can develop a level of dependency. Poor communities can be left without the wherewithal to meet their own needs in a sustainable manner. Recent and current economic and financial crises further reduce opportunities for those looking to break through the poverty line.
(1). According to the World Bank report and comments by the World Bank’s Chairman, Robert Zoellick, at the International Institute of Strategic Studies in Geneva, September 12th, 2008.
(2). For United Nations Millenium Development Goals (MDG) Click here
1to4 Foundation Rue des Ravieres 1, 2523 Lignieres, Switzerland. Tel: +41 32 751 22 46 - firstname.lastname@example.org www.1to4.ch